Thursday 3 November 2011

Ouch


I cannot believe I haven't posted on here for so long again. I'm a bad blogger and will try and do better in the future :)

I have been doing a bit of stitching though- and even better some machine sewing hurray!
As the winter is almost upon us and the heating bill will possible bankrupt us this year we are on a mission to use the heating as little as possible. I mean we have double glazing so it shouldn't be on as much as we have used it in previous years. Shamefully sitting here in short sleeves because the heatings on!!!
So we are going back to basics. Out come the heavy jumpers, blankets and ... hot water bottles. Which gave me a great opportunity to get stitching.

The children are emergency services mad at the moment so I designed them something along that theme.
A police car for William and a Fire engine for Thomas. I used an old fleecy cot blanket for the actual covers which  I needed to double up to make it thick enough to take the heat! It was so thick that I was convinced it would never go through the machine, but it did.( Which has also convinced me my machine should be fine for quilting) They turned out fabulous. I'm really pleased with them, especially as I designed the cross stitch myself :) A few years ago, even though I was stitching then, I would have just bought a few covers instead at goodness knows what cost, but now I have something that cost next to nothing, that is really personal for the boys and that I can feel proud off! I'm definitely going to try more home-made items from now on.


Even though I still have lots to be getting on with I am already designing a needle book and pin cushion. Although updating this blog has made me realise I really should be aiming for some finishes soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment